The Regulation on the Implementation of the Population Services Law and the Regulation on the Implementation of the Turkish Citizenship Law states the principles where the mother or the father wants to apply for citizenship of their 18-year-old child.
In case a child who is born abroad to Turkish parents was not registered in Turkey until the age of 18, wants to be registered now the process is simple. The parents inform the representative offices abroad and they inform the family registry of the Interior Ministry. The Population and Citizenship Affairs is sent to the General Directorate and the response is then forwarded to the applicant.
Documents required for the registration of a child born abroad to Turkish parents who is 18 years old are as follows:
- A valid passport of the country they currently reside in. İf a passport is not available, any form of ID card of that country is sufficient.
- A valid passport of Turkey to prove that both the parents are Turkish citizens. İf either the mother or the father is Turkish, one identity proof is sufficient.
- A certificate of civil status of the parents. For example a marriage certificate or a divorced certificate. A death certificate is one of the spouses is widowed. Two Turkish translations of these documents are also required.
- A report of a statement from the parents of the applicant. İf both parents are dead, a sibling can do it. İn case there are no siblings, a close relative can do it along with the relationship proof of relatives.
- Birth certificate with the name clearly mentioned on it. Two Turkish translations of the birth certificate will also be required.
- An official criminal record document issued by the local authorities. Two Turkish translations of this document are also required.
- Three Turkish citizens who knew the applicant will require to write a reference letter along with photocopies of ID cards. The letters must mention the phone numbers and complete residential addresses.
- One coloured passport size photograph was taken within the last six months.
- 100 Turkish Lira fee is applicable which is equivalent to the service fee.
- The authorities may ask for additional documents depending on the case to prove the citizenship of the applicant.
Note: it is mandatory that the translation of documents must be done by the sworn translators registered with the consulate. The certification fees are also charged for translated documents.